If you’ve ever received spam in the form of an iMessage, it’s a good idea to report it as junk to Apple.
While you’ve always been able to report iMessages as spam, you can now do it in a lot fewer steps if you’re running iOS 8.3 or above. Reporting junk iMessages will help Apple to remove spammer accounts from their servers, making iMessage a much happier place for everyone. In order to report an iMessage as junk, just follow these steps:
Keep in mind that you’ll only see an option to mark a message as junk if it’s an iMessage, meaning a blue bubble message. Green bubble, or regular SMS, messages won’t have the junk option. You can however completely block both iMessages and text messages. So if you’re having a problem with green bubble spam, you can follow our guide on how to block someone from contacting you at all.
How to report an iMessage as junk on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.3 or newer.
- Tap on Messages.
- Turn On the option for Filter Unknown Senders.
- Launch the Messages app.
- At the very top of your messages list (you have have to pull down), tap on the Unknown Senders tab.
- All messages from unknown senders appear here. Tap on the message thread you want to report as junk.
- Tap on Report Junk underneath the message.
- Tap on Delete and Report Junk in the popup menu.
- That’s it. Apple will receive a junk message report and it will automatically be removed from your device.